Medical Use of Marijuana in Ohio
As with many other topics in the field of medicine that remain experimental, unproven and/or unconventional, it is essential that physicians have access to trusted sources for information. The Ohio State Medical Association is committed to sharing information from reputable sources so informed business decisions can be made. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought.
For Initial Certification to Recommend (CTR) in Ohio:
1) Eligibility to recommend medical marijuana requires that applicants must hold an active, unrestricted MD or DO license from the State Medical Board of Ohio.
2) The applicant must have completed at least 2 hours of continuing medical education (CME) in medical marijuana—certified by the Ohio State Medical Association (OSMA) or the Ohio Osteopathic Association.
3) Physicians must obtain the State Medical Board of Ohio’s Certificate to Recommend (CTR).
(You will be required to upload your CME course certificate. There is NO fee for the CTR application.)
To Maintain a Certification to Recommend (CTR) in Ohio:
1) Physicians who obtain a CTR must continue to earn a minimum of 2 CME credits in medical marijuana education each calendar year.
2) These CME courses on medical marijuana must be certified for AMA PRA Category 1TM credit—and cannot be the same course(s) taken for initial certification.
3) When renewing a medical license, there will be an attestation box on the application to confirm completion of the required CME needed to maintain the CTR. (Proof of actual certificates will only be required if audited.)
Access our Medical Marijuana Updates & Resources
This information is FREE to OSMA members.
If you have a suggestion or other information requests, please email OSMA or call 800-766-6762.
Regulations & Medical Board Questions:
Jennifer Hayhurst • (614) 527-6766
Education & Course Certification:
Mary Whitacre • (614) 527-6769